Automation Engineer – Mebane, NCOctober 12, 2021 2021-10-12 13:00
The Automation Engineer will be responsible for the proper design and performance for the assembly equipment. This equipment includes robot handling for part removal and part placement, plastic component assembly, automated part testing, vision system inspection, and packaging equipment. The Automation Engineer must have a working knowledge of PLC programming as well as mechanical design. This position will work closely with production, maintenance, and quality departments in order to ensure a robust process design as well as continually improve the automation processes. Key performance metrics are equipment efficiency, equipment downtime, and scrap.
- Work with automation suppliers to design production equipment for efficient manufacturing and designed for robust quality capability.
- Ability to program basic PLC functions for part handling and part testing.
- Work closely with quality department to identify process deficiencies and improve the equipment in order to reduce the risk of producing a defect as well as increase the process capability.
- Work closely with production department to continually improve the equipment efficiency and reduce unplanned downtime.
- Lead troubleshooting efforts when the cause of equipment failure is unknown. Train and coach the maintenance teams to continually improve the overall automation understanding and troubleshooting capabilities.
- Establish collaborative relationship with suppliers for new equipment integration and higher level equipment upgrades.
- Hands on team player that leads by example and always coaches others for improvement. Approaches difficult situations with positive energy and a team focus.
- Ensures all process designs conform to OSHA standards and minimize the safety risk for employees working with the processes.
- Ability to travel up to 10%.
- Any other tasks as requested by management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or 10 years experience as an automation technician in lieu of engineering degree.
- At least 5 years of experience in a high volume manufacturing environment.
- Proven record of team building and collaboration.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to simplify complex ideas and processes.
- Detailed-oriented and organized, with the ability to multitask and display consistent follow-through on tasks, assignments, projects, etc.