Plant Controller – Mississauga, Ontario CanadaSeptember 7, 2021 2021-09-07 19:47
The Plant Controller is responsible for the overall management accounting and financial reporting for the facility at which they work. This position requires a person who understands manufacturing processes and systems, and the challenges that are associated with the relevant measurement of these environments. The Plant Controller is involved in most aspects of the plant’s local operations. The Plant Controller is not only the financial team leader, but also an overall leader of, and strategic business partner to, the entire plant staff.
- Prepare periodic reports and various communications including operational and financial performance evaluations, periodic forecasts, annual operating plans, strategic and plant capacity plans, and other ad hoc reports as required by Management.
- Manage and oversee preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual profit and loss statements, balance sheets, and capital budgets.
- Manage the budgeting and forecasting process for plant operations and take a lead role in quarterly re-forecasts.
- Prepare monthly variance analysis to provide an understanding of the financial results compared to budget and forecast including but not limited to material usage, labor, spending, purchase price, etc.
- Responsible for the overall internal control environment at the plant level.
- Prepare customer analysis to assist in the determination of customer profitability.
- Drive overall efficiency improvements in the facility including administrative processes, computer system implementations and operating processes.
- Maintain all standard cost systems.
- Work closely with the Plant Manager and Corporate operations personnel to monitor, control, and forecast costs and to identify critical costing issues and expected deviations from budget or forecast.
- Prepare for, and participate in, annual consolidated GAAP audit.
- Perform regular reviews of the plant operations and financial performance with the Plant Manager and Corporate operations personnel to discuss production and costing issues; recommend and implement corrective action programs to improve plant operating and financial performance.
- Perform ad hoc analysis and special projects as required by Corporate Finance or the Operations personnel.
- Responsible for plant cash management including accounts receivable collections and accounts payable payments.
- Supervise and manage plant accounting/administrative staff.
- Ensure company accounting procedures conform with GAAP.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- B.S. in Accounting or Finance.
- Professional certification or designation is preferred.
- 8-10 years of public/private accounting experience.
- Solid working knowledge of FX (CAD/USD) and how it impacts reporting and cash flow
- Cost accounting experience is a plus.
- Proven ability to manage and develop staff.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of proficiency in Excel and familiarity with ERP systems is preferred.